Toon Defender Fancies Carling Cup Glory!

Last updated : 27 August 2008 By Footy Mad - Editor

Our record in the competition is shocking, never having won it, but the Toon defender says Newcastle have as much chance of winning it than anyone else.

Taylor: "I'm confident we can do well.

"I know the fans have wanted to win something for years, and if we can keep everybody fit, there's no reason why we can't do well.

"It's an important competition for us, and confidence is high at the moment though after the first two games."


Adebayo Akinfenwa struck twice as League One Northampton claimed the Premier League scalp of Bolton with a shock 2-1 victory in the second round of the Carling Cup.

Bolton fell behind in the 22nd minute at the Reebok Stadium when Akinfenwa converted from the penalty spot after Gavin McCann handled inside the area.

Akinfenwa headed home a Abdul Osman cross from close range six minutes later before Bolton defender Gary Cahill was shown a straight red card after a nasty foul on Giles Coke.

Bolton captain Kevin Nolan pulled one back for Gary Megson's side in the 82nd minute after he latched on to Kevin Davies' header but the Cobblers held on to secure their place in the third-round draw.

Five matches were taken to extra-time and it was Hartlepool who caused the biggest upset with a 3-1 win over West Brom at Victoria Park.

Joel Porter's 61st-minute strike looked like it had put the home side through but Robert Koren equalised in the 87th minute to ensure an extra 30 minutes were played.

But Danny Wilson's side were the stronger side and went through after substitutes David Foley and Richie Barker both found the net.

Hull became the the third Premier League side to fall at the second-round stage after slipped to a 2-1 defeat to Swansea at the Liberty Stadium.

Veteran striker Dean Windass had put the Tigers ahead in the 11th minute but Gorka Pintado levelled in the 63rd minute.

Pintado was presented with the opportunity to end the game in normal time but his penalty was saved by Hull goalkeeper Matt Duke in the second minute of injury-time.

Roberto Martinez's side were handed another chance from the spot in extra-time after Michael Turner brought down Shaun MacDonald and Jordi Gomez made no mistake.

Elsewhere, John-Joe O'Toole struck with four minutes of extra-time remaining to give Watford a 2-1 win over Darlington after Damien Francis' opener had been cancelled out by Gregg Blundell's 90th-minute equaliser.

Reuben Reid scored the decisive spot-kick as Rotherham knocked out Wolves 4-3 on penalties after their match went 120 minutes without a goal.

Crewe also caused a surprise after they hung on to record a 2-1 home win over Bristol City.

Anthony Elding and Byron Moore both found the net for the Railwaymen but Brian Wilson pulled one back for the City with 11 minutes remaining to make it a nervous finish.

Championship Crystal Palace also succumbed to League One opposition after Leeds thrashed them 4-0 at Elland Road.

Jonathan Douglas and Jermaine Beckford gave Gary McAllister's side a two-goal lead at the break before Luciano Becchio and Enoch Showunmi rounded off the win in the second half.

Wigan striker Henri Camara struck twice while Amr Zaki and Tomasz Kupisz both netted a goal apiece to give the Latics a 4-0 win over Notts County at the JJB Stadium.

Goals from Glenn Whelan, Richard Cresswell and Jon Parkin helped Stoke complete a 3-2 win over Cheltenham at Whaddon Road with Ashley Vincent and Alex Russell on target for the Robins.

Chris McCann's 12th-minute strike and a brace from Martin Paterson gave Burnley a comfortable 3-0 win over Oldham at Turf Moor while Derby midfielder Paul Green gave his side a 1-0 win over Preston at Deepdale.

Jorge Ledesma hit a second-half hat-trick after Damion Stewart's first-half opener to help QPR ease to a 4-0 win over Carlisle.

Mido, Didier Digard, Jeremie Aliadiere, Marvin Emnes Adam Johnson were all on target as Middlesbrough thumped Yeovil 5-1 at the Riverside with Gavin Tomlin scoring a consolation for the visitors.

Cardiff made hard work of their clash against MK Dons but secured a place in the third-round draw with a 2-1 win at Ninian Park.

A Ross McCormack penalty and Peter Whittingham's strike gave the Bluebirds a two-goal cushion before Sean O'Hanlon pulled a goal back to make for an exciting last 15 minutes.

There were also five different scorers for Reading as they hammered Luton 5-1 at the Madejski Stadium to secure their place in the hat in emphatic fashion.

Noel Hunt, Stephen Hunt, Alex Pearce, Jem Karacan and James Henry were all on target for the Royals before Ryan Charles hit a late consolation for the Hatters.

Ipswich survived a nervous final few minutes after Steven Gillespie pulled a goal back for Colchester in the 87th minute after Pablo Counago and Kevin Lisbie had put Jim Magilton's side ahead.

Birmingham's winning start to the season came to an abrupt end after they were knocked out by fellow Championship side Southampton.

Lee Holmes had put the Saints ahead in the 17th minute and the result was made certain in the 86th minute when Adam Lallana smashed home from 18-yards out.