Latest On Douglas Fiasco!
By Footy Mad - Editor
Updated Saturday, 21st July 2012
Alan Pardew is still hoping Derek Llambias can push through deals for defensive duo Douglas and Mathieu Debuchy, but ...
The "Wally With The Brolly" - Steve McClaren is still standing in the way to stop United getting Douglas.
Yesterday the defender said "I know nothing about Newcastle's interest" ... when the deal has been on the cards for SIX WEEKS!
A bid of £3.1m was rejected by FC Twente earlier this week, and then the player said he wanted to stay in Holland for another season to get a Dutch passport.
But still Llambias ploughed on, trying to make some sense of a bizarre situation, hoping to get the player to sign on the dotted line.
One question we must ask - is this too similar to the transfers of Spanish pair Marcelino and Albert Luque?
Neither player REALLY wanted to join the club, but Freddy Shepherd flashed notes in front of their eyes.
We all no how un-committed both players proved to be.
If Douglas doesn't want to join us ... do we need him?
Twente boss McClaren continues to insist that Douglas will not be allowed to leave for less than £5m, even though the defender has entered the final 12 months of his contract and will be free to leave for nothing next summer.
And having banked more than £10m from the sale of Luuk de Jong, Twente are under no pressure to sell Douglas.
Douglas claims he is unaware of Newcastle's £3.1m bid, and told Dutch reporters: "For me, it's not concrete - I just want to stay at FC Twente."