Newcastle United 1 Tottenham Hotspur 0

Last updated : 15 March 2005 By Footymad Previewer
It was a case of lucky seven and lucky Newcastle as the Geordies clinched their place in the semi-finals of the FA Cup - and a first ever trip to the Millennium Stadium.

At times it was like the Alamo as Shay Given stood in the way of Spurs with a string of breathtaking saves to leave the North London side distraught at the final whistle.

Just as it was in the fifth round against Chelsea, it was a Patrick Kluivert goal that separated the sides as Newcastle made it a tremendous seven successive wins.

Sven-Goran Eriksson was in the stands to watch two of the most famous names in FA Cup history, with a total of 14 final wins between them, face off.

Newcastle went into the tie holding the upper-hand over Spurs in the FA Cup with four wins and two draws from their eight clashes including a 100 per cent at St. James' Park.

There was yet another milestone for United skipper Alan Shearer who was making his 350th appearance for his boyhood heroes and ended up with two staples in his chin after taking a first-half kick.

United had pre-match central defensive injury problems when Andy O'Brien was ruled out with a back problem after Steven Taylor was injured in training on Saturday, while Titus Bramble picked up a knock during the UEFA Cup win against Olympiakos.

Bramble was given the go-ahead but only lasted 40 minutes and now requires a hernia operation.

Stephen Carr silenced the jeering Spurs fans with a stamina-sapping first-minute run down the right and won the first of two corners for United.

Newcastle's impressive start was rewarded after five minutes when they stormed in front through Kluivert.

There was a touch of good fortune when the ball broke off Keiron Dyer to Shearer on the right. The United skipper charged forward, evaded the lunging Ledley King and pulled the ball back for his strike partner to sweep the ball right-footed beyond Paul Robinson.

Thimothee Atouba was cautioned for pulling down the rampant Dyer and was then spoken to again by referee Rob Styles after fouling Dyer again a couple of minutes later.

It was not until the 20th minute that Spurs managed shot on target and Reto Ziegler's free-kick was easily saved by Given, who had to be much more alert seconds later to take the ball off the toes of Jermain Defoe.

Spurs enjoyed a good spell of possession with Fredi Kanoute working well to force a save out of Given and then, after 35 minutes, toe-ended a Defoe cross from the right into the side netting.

Kanoute and Defoe worked well as a combination, providing plenty of problems for the United rearguard.

Bramble limped out of action before the break and without a defender on the bench, Jermaine Jenas was forced to take over at left-back with Aaron Hughes moving to centre-back.

The first two minutes of the second half saw bookings for Spurs duo Michael Brown and Noe Pamarot for rash challenges.

The warning signs were there for Newcastle after 53 minutes when a Kanoute flick was volleyed wide by Simon Davies.

Spurs piled on the pressure and United were indebted to the magnificent Given for keeping them in front after 68 minutes. Kanoute got clear of Jenas and found substitute Robbie Keane, whose thunderous drive was beaten out by Given, who then beat out Defoe's stunning follow-up volley.

The referee missed a late handball from Bowyer that should have given Spurs a penalty and the Tottenham frustration was compounded by a late, disallowed goal.