Newcastle United 1 Everton 1

Last updated : 28 November 2004 By Footymad Previewer

One moment of madness saw Newcastle throw away the win that they so richly deserved in a one-sided match against the Premiership's surprise package Everton.

United dominated from start to finish but were stunned by a superb Lee Carsley free-kick equaliser following a reckless Aaron Hughes challenge on Marcus Bent nine minutes into the second half.

This came after a stunning early goal from Craig Bellamy and Newcastle also hit the woodwork twice through Bellamy and Patrick Kluivert while they also had another two efforts cleared off the line.

There was a first Premiership start at St James' Park for 18-year-old Steven Taylor whose only other starting appearance was at Bolton last season.

Meanwhile there were personal milestones for Lee Bowyer and Bellamy, two of the midweek UEFA Cup heroes in Sochaux, who were both making their 250th appearances.

Everton made a positive start and a third minute cross from the right caught Shay Given in two minds. Marcus Bent got above the under-pressure Taylor and the Everton striker's looping header drifted wide of the far post under the watchful guidance of Titus Bramble.

United hit back and stormed into a fifth minute lead with a goal superbly executed by the new-look strike pairing of Bellamy and Patrick Kluivert.

Given's clearance was headed on by Bowyer to Bellamy who worked a nonchalant one-two just inside the Everton half with Kluivert. The return was to perfection and Bellamy raced clear in the inside-right position to beat Nigel Martyn all ends up from just inside the box.

This was the fifth time in the Premiership this season that Bellamy had scored Newcastle's first goal and it signalled even more pressure from United as the Everton rearguard struggled against their pace.

With Laurent Robert in the starting line-up there was only ever going to be one cause of action when United were awarded any free-kicks and in the 14th minute from 30 yards he brought a low save to his left from the alert Martyn.

United's attacking fluidity ripped Everton's defence to shreds again just four minutes later with yet another one-two. This time skipper Jermaine Jenas powered his way forward before linking with Kluivert and shooting across Martyn who managed to turn the ball behind. From the flag kick, young Taylor's acrobatic kick landed on the roof of the net.

But it was another acrobatic kick that came close to doubling Newcastle's tally just before the half-hour mark when Jenas' flying effort crashed against the bar and to safety to leave Everton wondering how they were still just one goal down! Only a dramatic goal-line clearance from Everton skipper Alan Stubbs prevented Newcastle from going two-up after 40 minutes. Bellamy charged clear down the left and when his cross spun to Kluivert on the edge of the box the Dutchman's technique was perfect but his shot was scrambled away by the lunging Stubbs.

Stubbs then popped up at the other end for a Thomas Gravesen free-kick and got in two efforts – the second of which saw the first of three successive corners ending with Tim Cahill back-heeling wide from only three yards.

Everton found themselves under the cosh early in the second half as Martyn hung on to an Olivier Bernard drive and then watched the ball crash into the side-netting from Kieron Dyer following more good work from Kluivert.

The sheer determination of Jenas then helped Bellamy tee up Kluivert who side-footed over from just inside the box.

Yet Everton found themselves back on level terms after 56 minutes with only their second shot on target. A rash and unnecessary challenge from Aaron Hughes on Bent gave Everton a needless free-kick 25 yards from goal that Lee Carsley delightfully curled right-footed beyond Given.

Back came the wounded Newcastle and when Bellamy cut in from the left he saw his cross-shot crash against the foot of Martyn's far post.

Everton had a great chance to go in front for the first time after 75 minutes when Gravesen released Bent who beat the committed Given to the ball but from the right fired into the side-netting.

Newcastle were furious six minutes from time when Dyer went sprawling in the box and referee Barry brushed away all penalty appeals.

Bellamy should then have won it in the last minute when Kluivert broke on the left and picked him out. The Welshman had time to control the ball but then drove his shot against Alessandro Pistone and from the corner substitute Shola Ameobi headed over the bar.