Newcastle 2 Middlesbrough 0

Last updated : 04 November 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Sir Bobby Robson became the first Newcastle manager to win five successive derby matches in two seasons when his injury-ravaged Newcastle side sank Middlesbrough with a goal in each half.

Without their three first-choice central defenders, Robson drafted in youngster Stephen Caldwell and the Scot turned in a faultless display and capped a memorable game with his first Premiership goal to settle the issue three minutes from time.

Earlier it had been another of the United young brigade who had opened the scoring when England Under-21 international Shola Ameobi netted after 20 minutes.

To compound BoroÂ’s misery, as they saw Newcastle move ahead of them into eighth place, French defender Franck Queudrue was sent off for the second successive match.

He went off in the dying seconds for two bookable offences having suffered the same fate at home to Leeds.

Laurent Robert tried a volley from the tightest of angles after eight minutes, bringing an excellent block from Mark Schwarzer and from the rebound Jermaine Jenas struck another volley over the bar.

Boro dominated the centre of the park and charged straight upfield with the influential Geremi driving across the face of the goal.

Northern Ireland international Aaron Hughes popped up on the line to head clear a Massimo Maccarone header and seconds later Shay Given was forced to go full length to push out another Geremi drive.

Against the run of play it was Newcastle who went in front after 20 minutes with a fortunate second goal of the season from Ameobi.

The big striker tried to play a left-wing cross into the path of Nolberto Solano only for the ball to drop invitingly and he buried a left-foot shot beyond Schwarzer from the edge of the box.

Boro always looked like managing a first-half equaliser but were let down by some woeful finishing and some poor final passes.

Maccarone rattled the woodwork after 55 minutes and Aaron Hughes was on hand to head off the line again, this time from Ugo Ehiogu.

Substitute Hugo Viana almost beat Schwarzer with a delicate fre kick and Alan Shearer was denied his 100th league goal for Newcastle after 85 minutes when Schwarzer turned his header behind off a post.

With three minutes remaining the issue was settled when Newcastle broke the length of the park. Kieron Dyer fed Viana whose shot was blocked to Schwarzer and the big Aussie managed to scramble the rebound from Jenas behind.

After receiving the plaudits from his team-mates, Schwarzer went from hero to villain when from VianaÂ’s corner, he flapped at the ball and a jubilant Caldwell volleyed into the net