Newcastle 2 Manchester City 0

Last updated : 18 January 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Alan Shearer created more Premiership history when he equalled the record for scoring the fastest ever goal.

Shearer pounced after just ten seconds to match the previous best mark of Ledley King of Spurs.

Fresh from receiving the Barclaycard Player of the Month award, Shearer and strike partner Craig Bellamy were the Newcastle matchwinners as the rampant Geordies recorded a tenth successive win at St James' Park.

This latest three-point haul lifts Newcastle above Chelsea into third position and eagerly awaiting their next home encounter against Bolton on Wednesday.

But this was all about Shearer and that most amazing of strikes. From the City kick-off former Newcastle favourite Steve Howey rolled the ball back to Carlo Nash to give him an early touch of the ball as he stood in for the injured Peter Schmeichel.

But the far too casual keeper was quickly charged down by Shearer and blasted the ball against the Premiership's all-time leading marksman, who was first to react and could hardly believe his luck as he rolled the ball into the net for his 17th goal of the season.

Nash redeemed himself on ten minutes when Shearer was again involved setting up Bellamy and the keeper bravely saved as his near post.

City's keeper was again beaten on 26 minutes when a superb run from Kieron Dyer opened the way for Shearer, only for Howey to get back and hook the ball off the line.

City played some pretty football, but were totally ineffective in front of goal.

Newcastle almost increased their lead in the opening seconds of the second half when Bellamy escaped the offside trap and teed up Dyer, who fired well wide.

Bellamy then brought a save from Nash before City created their best chance on the hour mark.

Nicolas Anelka cut in from the right and when the ball broke Marc-Vivien Foe completely miskicked, leaving Shaun Goater to fire at Shay Given.

The second goal that Newcastle needed always looked like coming and arrived after 64 minutes.

The magnificent Jermaine Jenas released Laurent Robert down the left and his low drilled cross was met by the sliding Bellamy at the far post for his eighth goal of the season.

After that it was one-way traffic as Newcastle piled on the pressure and three times Robert was denied by Nash.

First of all Robert had a free-kick beaten away and then cutting in from the left his shot ballooned off Nash and Bellamy completely missed a clear cut headed opportunity.

Desperately searching the goal his display deserved, Robert cut in from the right as Sylvain Distin slipped and the keeper bravely saved with his legs.

With eight minutes remaining referee Graham Poll, who gave a poor all-round display, left the field with a leg strain and was replaced by fourth official Mr Webster.