You Are Way Off The Mark Pardew - We Want Europe!

Last updated : 26 July 2013 By Footy Mad - Editor

Are those words PROGRESS?

The Toon fans WANT European football, and when you see the likes of Hibs getting thumped 7-0 at home ... Europe needs us!

A review of Thursday night's action in the Europa League involving British and Irish sides.
Europa League newsSt Johnstone pulled off one of the biggest shocks in the club's 128-year history by completing a remarkable 2-1 aggregate win over Rosenborg to send the Norwegian spinning out of the Europa League.

The Perth outfit stunned the 22-time Norwegian champions with Frazer Wright's winner in Trondheim and then completed the job at McDiarmid as young striker Stevie May netted a precious equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw and safe passage to the third qualifying round.

The incredible two-leg victory is Tommy Wright's first act as new Saints boss and sets up a meeting with Beluarusians FC Minsk.

Hibernian's European adventure came to an end in embarrassing style as they crashed out after suffering a 7-0 defeat to Malmo at Easter Road.

The task was always going to be a difficult one for Hibs, who trailed by two goals from Jiloan Hamad and Magnus Eriksson following last week's meeting in Sweden.

Eriksson added to his goal from the first leg when he opened the scoring after 20 minutes, before a Rowan Vine effort was ruled offside for the Leith outfit.

There was a further setback when James McPake limped out of the action before the onslaught by the Swedes continued.

Emil Forsberg doubled the lead on the night on 25 minutes and Markus Halsti effectively ended the tie as a contest four minutes later.

But there was no let up from the visitors and Miiko Albornoz also added his name to the scoresheet four minutes before the break.

Tokelo Rantie helped himself to a goal on the hour mark, before Hamad scored five minutes later and substitute Simon Kroon completed the rout for the rampant Swedes on 72 minutes.

The emphatic win ensured Malmo progressed to a meeting with Swansea, ending any hope of a 'Battle of Britain' clash in the next round.

Prestatyn Town are also out, losing 8-0 on aggregate against Rijeka after a 3-0 defeat in Rhyl.

Ivan Mocinic opened the scoring for the Croatians before Ivan Boras made it two.

Goran Mujanovic completed the rout in the second half.

Derry City were also on the end of a heavy aggregate loss, losing 7-2 over two legs against Turkish side Trabzonspor.

Derry lost 3-0 at Brandywell, Paulo Henrique's two goals after the break taking the game away from the hosts, who had impressed in a battling 4-2 loss in the first leg.

Abdulkadir Ozdemir netted Trabzonspor's third in injury time.

Linfield also bowed out as 10-man FC Xanthi battled for an away-goals win in extra time at Windsor Park.

The Northern Irish side held a 1-0 lead from the first leg but could not defend their advantage, despite seeing the visitors reduced to 10 men just before half-time when Konstantinos Fliskas was sent off.

By then the Greek side were level on aggregate thanks to Pereira Marcelinho's 27th-minute effort, but Linfield could not make their man advantage tell in normal time.

The hosts did take the lead again in the 99th minute when Michael Gault powered home a thumping volley, but Marcelinho popped up with his second in the 105th minute to make it 2-2 on aggregate and send Xanthi through on away goals.


Celtic will be subject to another UEFA investigation for the "setting off of fireworks" by supporters at Tuesday night's Champions League second qualifier against Cliftonville at Parkhead.
Europe's ruling body confirmed that the Scottish Champions have to answer a charge which allegedly breaches articles 16.2 of UEFA's disciplinary regulations.

The Hoops won 2-0 against the Irish part-timers to go through to the third qualifier against Swedish side Elfsborg on a 5-0 aggregate with the first leg at Celtic Park next Wednesday night.

Celtic were been fined 25,000 euros (approx £21,000) for fans' misbehaviour in the Europa League game against Udinese in Italy in December, 2011.

After the 1-1 draw at the Stadio Friuli, the Parkhead club were charged with, "the displaying of a banner of an offensive nature and the setting off of fireworks by supporters".

In a statement, Celtic admitted the fireworks were used in a section of the stadium housing the Green Brigade supporters group, causing the referee to ask the club's safety officers to intervene.

The club said: "Three fireworks were exploded within Section 111, causing the Match Referee to require a stadium announcement to be made instructing such behaviour to stop.

"As a result of this unprecedented step by a match official, Celtic FC will now be the subject of a disciplinary action for contravention of the UEFA Safety and Security Regulations."

Article 16.2 decrees that "all associations and clubs are liable for....inappropriate behaviour on the part of their supporters and may be subject to disciplinary measures and directives even if they can prove the absence of any negligence in relation to the organisation of the match" relating to, among other things, the "lighting of fireworks or any other objects".