Toon Stuck In 'No-Man's-Land'!

Last updated : 02 January 2008 By Footy Mad - Editor
Wins for Everton and Portsmouth last night put daylight between them and us, and Big Sam must get back to winning ways.

Arsenal 2 West Ham 0
Man Utd 1 Birmingham 0
Fulham 1 Chelsea 2
Middlesbrough 0 Everton 2
Aston Villa 2 Tottenham 1
Reading 0 Portsmouth 2

Eduardo da Silva struck inside the opening minute as Arsenal cruised past West Ham 2-0 at the Emirates Stadium to maintain their two-point lead at the summit of the Barclays Premier League.
The Croatia striker, who scored twice in the 4-1 rout of Everton at the weekend, took Cesc Fabregas' cross down on his chest before swivelling to fire a crisp left-foot volley into the corner of Robert Green's net.
Arsenal doubled their advantage after 18 minutes as Emmanuel Adebayor squeezed home from an acute angle after heading Gael Clichy's long ball past the onrushing Green.

Carlos Tevez's sublime goal was enough to see off the challenge of Birmingham and ensure Manchester United remain within striking distance of the Gunners with a 1-0 win.
The hosts came close to breaking the deadlock after 10 minutes as Tevez's header crashed back off the post before Cristiano Ronaldo - partnering the Argentinian in attack - saw a long-range volley dip over Maik Taylor's crossbar.
United's new-look strikeforce combined to devastating effect for the decisive goal after 25 minutes, though, as Tevez latched on to Ronaldo's audacious backheel to coolly slot past Taylor.

New Fulham boss Roy Hodgson endured a losing start to his Cottagers reign as Chelsea overcame a lifeless first half to record a slender 2-1 victory in the day's early kick-off.
Danny Murphy put Fulham ahead with a 10th minute penalty, a lead which deservedly remained intact until the interval.
But Chelsea clicked into gear after half-time with two goals in eight minutes keeping them snapping at the heels of the Barclays Premier League's top two.
Salomon Kalou nodded them level before Michael Ballack landed the decisive blow with a disputed penalty awarded when Clint Dempsey tugged the German's shirt.

Portsmouth recorded their seventh win in eight away games as they eased past 10-man Reading 2-0.
The Royals got off to a disastrous start with defender Ibrahima Sonko receiving his marching orders after just three minutes for hauling down Benjani Mwaruwari in the penalty area.
Niko Kranjcar failed to take advantage, though, as his spot-kick crashed back off the upright.
But Pompey did have reason to celebrate after nine minutes as Sol Campbell prodded into an empty net after Marcus Hahnemann had dropped Sulley Muntari's inswinging free-kick.
They added a second after 65 minutes as John Utaka outpaced Nicky Shorey to latch on to Muntari's long ball and slot past the exposed Hahnemann.

Everton bounced back from their mauling by Arsenal with a 2-0 win at Middlesbrough.
Andy Johnson broke the deadlock after 67 minutes with an angled drive past Mark Schwarzer before James McFadden sealed the win with a cool finish five minutes later.

In the final game of the day Martin Laursen atoned for a dreadful first half miss by scoring a late winner for Aston Villa in their 2-1 triumph over Tottenham.
The Danish international had shot over from close range with the goal at his mercy before fellow defender Olof Mellberg broke the deadlock four minutes before the interval.
Jermaine Defoe looked to have rescued a point for Spurs when he volleyed home after 79 minutes in only his second league start of the season - but Laursen had the final say with his fifth goal of the campaign.