Toon Get Over The Line ... Just!

Last updated : 08 January 2012 By Footy Mad - Editor

Newcastle 2 Blackburn 1
Birmingham 0 Wolves 0
Norwich 4 Burnley 1
West Brom 4 Cardiff 2
Barnsley 2 Swansea 4
Fulham 4 Charlton 0
MK Dons 1 QPR 1
Tottenham 3 Cheltenham 0
Bristol Rov 1 Aston Villa 3
Gillingham 1 Stoke 3
Macclesfield 2 Bolton 2
Swindon 2 Wigan 1
Everton 2 Tamworth 0
Brighton 1 Wrexham 1
Coventry 1 Southampton 2
Crawley Town 1 Bristol City 0
Dag & Red 0 Millwall 0
Derby 1 Crystal Palace 0
Doncaster 0 Notts County 2
Fleetwood 1 Blackpool 5
Hull 3 Ipswich 1
Midd'brough 1 Shrewsbury 0
Nottm Forest 0 Leicester 0
Reading 0 Stevenage 1
Watford 4 Bradford 2
Sheff United 3 Salisbury 1
Liverpool 5 Oldham 1


Swindon caused the biggest upset of the day as the npower League Two side came from behind to beat Wigan 2-1 in their FA Cup third round tie at the County Ground.

Barclays Premier League side Wigan were awarded a penalty after Aden Flint fouled Callum McManaman but Latics midfielder Ben Watson missed the resulting spot kick.

However, McManaman chased up the rebound to put Wigan ahead 10 minutes before the break, but the lead was short-lived as Alan Connell levelled the score with five minutes of the first half remaining with a header from the left of the six yard box.

Paul Benson's strike gave the Robins the lead in the 76th minute and Paolo Di Canio's side held on to seal progression to the fourth round for the first time in 16 years.

Bolton escaped embarrassment as David Wheater's header saw them salvage a replay against League Two Macclesfield as they drew 2-2 at Moss Rose.

The Premier League side took the lead through Ivan Klasnic after he pounced on Nathaniel Brown's clearance in the seventh minute but the advantage was shot lived as Colin Daniel drew Macclesfield level in the 16th minute.

Arnaud Mendy's 25-yard volley then handed the Silkmen the lead in the 68th minute before Wheater headed the Trotters level.

Heidar Helguson's 89th minute equaliser salvaged a replay for QPR as they drew 1-1 against MK Dons.

League One's MK took the lead through Dean Bowditch and looked to be on the way to creating an upset against their Premier League opponents, but Helguson drilled the crucial goal from the edge of the area to book a rematch at Loftus Road.

Tottenham claimed a comfortable 3-0 win over Cheltenham at White Hart Lane with goals from Jermain Defoe, Roman Pavlyuchenko and Giovani Dos Santos.

Swansea came from behind to beat Championship side Barnsley 4-2 at Oakwell.

Ricardo Vaz Te put Barnsley ahead in the 29th minute but the lead was short-lived as Angel Rangel hit back for Swansea 90 seconds later.

Danny Graham blasted the Swans ahead in the first minute of the second half with a 30-yard strike before Nathan Dyer scored.

Vaz Te netted his second of the game, and 12th of the season, but Graham's 89th minute score sealed progression for Brendan Rodgers' side.

Simon Cox scored a hat-trick as West Brom also claimed a 4-2 win, beating Cardiff.

Cardiff had fought back from 2-0 down with goals Robert Earnshaw and Joe Mason cancelling out efforts from Peter Odemwingie and Cox, but the Republic of Ireland international netted twice more in the last half-hour to seal the win and complete his treble.

Everton ground out a 2-0 win over Blue Square Premier League side Tamworth at Goodison Park.

Johnny Heitinga headed the Toffees in front from a Landon Donovan corner in the fifth minute before Leighton Baines sealed the win from the penalty spot after Royston Drenthe was brought down by Samuel Habergham.

Stoke came from behind to run out 3-1 winners over League Two's Gillingham.

Danny Kedwell put the Gills in front before Jonathan Walters levelled for Stoke 10 minutes before the break.

Cameron Jerome put the Premier League side ahead when he pounced on the ball after Ryan Shawcross' header rebounded off the bar before Robert Huth headed Wilson Palacios' corner past Gills keeper Ross Flitney for the third.

Clint Dempsey scored a hat-trick as Fulham avoided a potential upset against Charlton as they ran out 4-0 winners at Craven Cottage.

Dempsey fired the opener in the eighth minute before netting again twice after the break, once from the penalty spot, before Damien Duff added the fourth to seal a convincing win over the League One side in the 87th minute.

Norwich were convincing winners as they beat npower Championship side Burnley 4-1 at Carrow Road.

Grant Holt and Simeon Jackson put Norwich 2-0 up in the opening 12 minutes before Jay Rodriguez hit back for Burnley almost immediately.

Holt then struck the post with 31st-minute penalty but the miss did not matter in the end as Norwich added two more goals in the second half through Andrew Surman and Steve Morison.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake was guilty of a glaring miss as Wolves had to settle for a goalless draw with Championship side Birmingham at St Andrew's.

The Wolves striker squandered the best chance of the game midway through the second half when he shot over with the goal at his mercy.

Blues keeper Colin Doyle made a superb save in injury time to keep out a header from Wolves substitute Steven Fletcher.

In the late kick-off, Aston Villa beat Bristol Rovers 3-1 at the Memorial Stadium.

Marc Albrighton, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ciaran Clark gave Villa a comfortable lead before some poor defending allowed Scott McGleish to score in the 90th minute.

Villa then conceded a penalty in stoppage time when Stephen Warnock handled the ball, but Brad Guzan comfortably saved McGleish's spot kick.

League Two leaders Crawley Town caused an upset as they beat 10-man Bristol City 1-0 at the Broadfield Stadium.

The Championship side were reduced to 10 men when midfielder Stephen Pearson was shown red for his second bookable offence after Matthew Tubbs' 73rd minute score proved to be decisive.

Stevenage maintained their reputation as giant killers as they beat Championship side Reading 1-0 at the Madejski Stadium.

The League One side, who knocked Newcastle out of the cup in the third round last season, held on to the slender lead earnt by Darius Charles' 21st minute strike.

Charles fired home from 20 yards to book his side a place in the fourth round.

Blue Square Premier leaders Wrexham earned a replay against Championship side Brighton as they drew 1-1 at the Falmer Stadium.

Jake Forster-Caskey's opener for Brighton was cancelled out by midfielder Adrian Cieslewicz's second half strike to book a rematch at the Racecourse Ground.

League One Notts County caused a minor upset as they dumped Championship strugglers Doncaster out of the cup with a 2-0 win at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Jeff Hughes scored a goal in each half for County to seal progression to the next round after they famously took Manchester City to a replay last season.

Championship leaders Southampton came from behind to beat Coventry 2-1.

Gary McSheffrey gave Coventry the lead in the fifth minute before James Ward-Prowse levelled for Saints after the break with a close-range strike, with Aaron Martin's 82nd minute header sealing the win.

Matty Phillips struck his second hat-trick in four games for Blackpool as the Seasiders ended Blue Square Premier Fleetwood's hopes of an FA Cup upset with a 5-1 win Highbury Stadium.

Lomana Tresor LuaLua put the Tangerines in front in the 24th minute before Phillips' 25-yard curling shot beat goalkeeper Scott Davies just after the break.

Thomas Ince's strike on the half-volley and two more for Phillips sealed the win, with Jamie Vardy's 70th minute strike for Fleetwood scant consolation.

League Two strugglers Dagenham and Redbridge earned a treplay against shot-shy Millwall.

Millwall boss Kenny Jackett has admitted his side's problems in front of goal have cost them this season and once again they drew 0-0 despite having the bulk of possession.

Hull edged into the fourth round at the expense of fellow Championship side Ipswich after winning 3-1 at the KC Stadium.

Aaron Mclean's 27th-minute effort and Tom Cairney's 25-yard strike five minutes later gave the Tigers a comfortable lead.

Jason Scotland hit back for Ipswich but Cameron Stewart's last-minute goal sealed the win for Hull.

Craig Forsyth scored twice as Watford beat Bradford 4-2 at Vicarage Road.

Troy Deeney headed Watford ahead early on but James Hanson's close-range strike brought Bradford level five minutes later.

Marvin Sordell edged the Hornets back in front before Forsyth's double sealed the win ahead of Nahki Wells' late score.

Derby beat Crystal Palace 1-0 thanks to Theo Robinson's ninth-minute goal while Marvin Emnes scored his first goal in nine games to help Middlesbrough defeat League Two Shrewsbury 1-0.

Elsewhere the clash between Nottingham Forest and Leicester finished goalless while Sheffield United beat Salisbury 3-1 to book their place in the next round.

Chris Porter scored his eighth goal of the season to put the Blades in front before Ched Evans added a second and Daniel Webb's own goal secured the win, with Lloyd Macklin's late score for Salisbury small consolation.