There's Nowt Wrong With A Bit Of 'Ugly'!

Last updated : 28 January 2010 By Footy Mad - Editor


NEWCASTLE: Harper, Kadar, Williamson, Coloccini, Jose Enrique (Pancrate 25), Guthrie, Nolan, Smith, Gutierrez (Ranger 73), Carroll, Lovenkrands (Routledge 62).

CRYSTAL PALACE: Speroni, Clyne, Ertl (Lawrence 4), Hill, Hills (Djilali 75), Carle (Lee 82), Ambrose, Butterfield, Derry, Danns, Andrew.

Att: 37,886

Newcastle restored their three-point lead at the top of the Championship and gave our rivals an answer to the questions they were obviously asking.

Are we starting to stutter; can we cope with the pressure; was Chris Hughton about to scream: "I'd LOVE it if we beat them!"

Well ... for the moment ... none of those boxes were ticked. We're back on course and chugging away like Thomas the Tank Engine.

We were grateful for Palace midfielder Shaun Derry putting through his own net with 20 minutes gone to get us started, but once we got ahead, we didn't really look like throwing it away.

Yes we struggled to build on the lead and had to wait until four minutes into injury time for substitute Nile Ranger to cement the win, but Palace were certainly no better than we were in ANY department.

You can call it an ugly win ... but it doesn't matter. Hughton wants to get through this season with the minimum of fuss, and that is why he was happy to see us throw away the League Cup and FA Cup ... to chalk up wins like this.

To be honest with you, the match was SHITE, and the players didn't need to get out of 1st gear.

But if they are in good condition for Leicester on Saturday ... so be it.

The match report ....

The Eagles failed to make the most of several excellent opportunities as the leaders edged their way home on a night when they were far from convincing.

It was Newcastle's first league win since December 20 and although it was achieved in the face of an injury crisis - which grew with the premature departure of full-back Jose Enrique - it left the bulk of a crowd of 37,886 biting their fingernails until the final whistle.

Chris Hughton handed latest arrival Mike Williamson a start and fellow newcomer Wayne Routledge a seat on the bench, in stark contrast to the options available to opposite number Neil Warnock.

Highly-rated striker Victor Moses was pulled out of the game by the London club's administrators as they prepare to cash in on the Eagles' biggest asset, while Warnock was able to name only three substitutes.

But it was Palace who created the first opening with just four minutes gone when, despite being reduced to 10 men with defender Johannes Ertl off the pitch receiving treatment, Darren Ambrose broke and fed lone striker Calvin Andrew, who only just failed to round Steve Harper.

Ertl was replaced by Matt Lawrence seconds later, and he and his defensive colleagues enjoyed a major escape when Peter Lovenkrands could not stretch far enough to guide Enrique's driven cross home.

But the visitors should have been ahead three minutes later when Danny Butterfield met Nick Carle's cross unopposed but somehow headed wide from point-blank range.

Palace were unlucky to fall behind with 20 minutes gone, Derry guiding Andy Carroll's header past his own keeper to hand the home side the lead.

Lovenkrands fired wide on the turn within seconds of the restart and Carroll blasted a 53rd-minute effort across the face of goal.

But Neil Danns and Carle had shots blocked in quick succession with the visitors fighting for an equaliser with the game still in the balance.

They went desperately close with 20 minutes remaining when Ambrose's shot came back off the post, and Tamas Kadar managed to get a block on Danns' follow-up.

But Ranger made sure deep into stoppage time when he ran clear from Routledge's pass and beat Julian Speroni with ease.