Newcastle Will Never Have Better Chance Of Glory!

Last updated : 06 January 2008 By Footy Mad - Editor
Liverpool, Arsenal and Derby play today, so it could be half the top flight sides out of the world's oldest football competition.

OK, the Top Four are still standing, but Newcastle must seize the moment.


Scottish midfielder Gary McDonald's first-half strike gave League One Oldham a famous 1-0 FA Cup third-round triumph against mighty Everton at Goodison Park on Saturday.

The League One side, over 50 places below the Merseysiders, fully deserved their victory after a battling performance.
Everton fielded a much-changed side, and McDonald's 25-yard cracker on the stroke of half-time was enough to beat them.
Michael Mifsud scored twice as Coca-Cola Championship club Coventry booked their place in the fourth round with a memorable 4-1 win over Blackburn at Ewood Park.
The Sky Blues, who dumped Manchester United out of the Carling Cup earlier this season with a 2-0 win at Old Trafford, were again in imperious form against Barclays Premier League opposition and never looked in danger of losing the lead given to them through Mifsud's crisp volley after 34 minutes.
They doubled their advantage after 64 minutes when Zurab Khizanishvili was adjudged to have fouled Leon Best in the penalty area and defender Elliott Ward coolly stepped up to fire past Brad Friedel.
Dele Adebola added a third from 18 yards before David Bentley scored a consolation five minutes from time for Mark Hughes' beleaguered side.
Mifsud added a fourth in the dying stages as Iain Dowie's side celebrated a memorable day.
Chris Brandon scored nine minutes from time to secure another cup shock as League One Huddersfield beat Premier League Birmingham 2-1.
Luke Beckett handed the Terriers a dream start as he poked home from close range after just four minutes but Garry O'Connor levelled for Blues 15 minutes later.
Huddersfield never looked out of place against their more illustrious opponents and Brandon slotted home from close range late on to book their place in the next round.
Holders Chelsea were made to work hard for their 1-0 victory over neighbours QPR at Stamford Bridge.
They scored the only goal of the game after 39 minutes in fortuitous circumstances as Claudio Pizarro's shot cannoned off the post before rebounding into the net off the back of Rangers goalkeeper Lee Camp.
Last season's beaten finalists Manchester United progressed as goals in the last 10 minutes from Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney saw off Aston Villa 2-0 in the evening kick-off.
Bolton left out a string of first-team players, including Chelsea target Nicolas Anelka, and were made to pay as David Carney's solitary strike put Sheffield United through.
Manchester City and West Ham will meet again after a dour goalless draw at Upton Park.
Dave Nugent's third goal for Portsmouth secured a 1-0 win over Ipswich, who had Liam Trotter dismissed in the first half.
Paul Scharner's first-half header, Paul McShane's own goal and a neat strike from David Cotterill helped Wigan cruise past Sunderland 3-0 at the Stadium of Light.
Stephen Hunt matched Dimitar Berbatov's brace as Reading secured a 2-2 draw with Tottenham, who had Tom Huddlestone dismissed for violent conduct.
David Wheater's second-half goal ensured there was no upset at Ashton Gate as Middlesbrough came from behind to see off Bristol City 2-1.
Liam Fontaine had given the hosts the lead inside 20 minutes but Stewart Downing restored parity before Wheater's timely intervention.
League Two Peterborough caused an upset against Championship strugglers Colchester as they stormed to a 3-1 win.
Veteran Teddy Sheringham cancelled out Aaron McLean's opener but Darren Ferguson's side stormed back through George Boyd and Charlie Lee.
Gary Doherty cancelled out Andy Bishop's goal as Championship strugglers Norwich salvaged a replay against League Two Bury.
Non-league Chasetown lost 3-1 at home to Cardiff after goals from Peter Whittingham, Aaron Ramsey and Paul Parry had cancelled out Kevin McNaughton's own goal.
Michael Kightly and Neill Collins netted in the second half as Wolves bounced back from Scott Rendell's first-half penalty for Cambridge.
Blue Square South side Havant and Waterlooville secured a replay against League One leaders Swansea after a memorable 1-1 draw at the Liberty Stadium.
Andy Robinson had looked to have booked the hosts' place in the fourth round before Rocky Baptiste scored with just three minutes remaining to send the visiting support into raptures.
Championship high-fliers Charlton and West Brom will meet again after a 1-1 draw at The Valley.
Zheng Zhi gave the Addicks an early lead before Ishmael Miller's equaliser.
Danny Shittu scored twice to help Watford to a 2-0 win over Crystal Palace at Vicarage Road.
Dean Windass' double was not enough to prevent Hull slipping to a 3-2 defeat at Plymouth, who were indebted to goals from Nadjim Abdou, Peter Halmosi and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake.
Andrew Surman and Gregory Vignal were on target to ensure Southampton eased to a comfortable 2-0 win over Leicester at St Mary's.
Barnsley came from behind to record a slender 2-1 win over Blackpool.
David Fox gave Simon Grayson's side a first-half lead before Stephen Foster and Michael Coulson netted in the second period for the Tykes.
In the final all-Championship tie Simon Whaley gave Preston a slender 1-0 win over Scunthorpe.
Mansfield and Southend booked their places in the fourth round with wins over Brighton and Dagenham and Redbridge respectively.
Barnet secured a 1-1 draw at Swindon, Tranmere were held 2-2 at home to Hereford, while Walsall and Millwall played out a goalless draw.