Hughton: 'A Win At Hull Would Change Our Season'!

Last updated : 11 March 2009 By Footy Mad - Editor
... and which has already been beaten twice by Phil Brown's side this season.

Chris Hughton: "I remember the Birmingham game very well last season and this is a very similar situation.

"The week before that game (a 1-1 draw at St Andrew's) we lost to Blackburn Rovers at home 1-0 to a late breakaway goal from a corner.

"But the performance had been very good and I think we're coming off the back of a good performance against Manchester United this time as well.

"That result at Birmingham kick-started the tail end of our season and hopefully we can do the same sort of thing at Hull.

"It's a very big game for all sorts of reasons.

"A win would really give us a lot of impetus going into the end of the season."



HULL CITY: Duke, Doyle, Turner, McShane, Ricketts, Fagan (Halmosi 73), Giannakopoulos, Boateng, Marney, Geovanni, Cousin (King 73).
Subs Not Used: Ashbee, France, Zayatte, Warner, Featherstone.

NEWCASTLE UTD: Given, Coloccini, Bassong, Taylor, Jose Enrique, Duff, Guthrie, Butt, N'Zogbia (Gutierrez 36), Owen, Carroll.
Subs Not Used: Harper, Xisco, Geremi, Kadar, Edgar, LuaLua.

Att: 20,557

Shay Given underlined his continuing importance to Newcastle with a superb performance to keep out Hull in the FA Cup.
The goalkeeper looked far from unsettled as he produced a number of fine saves in an entertaining all-Premier League third round tie at the KC Stadium.
Hull also thought they had scored when a Michael Turner header rebounded off the woodwork but referee Chris Foy ruled it had not crossed the line.
Newcastle had their opportunities too with Michael Owen missing two good chances.
The game was notable for the reaction of the crowd to Given and his Newcastle team-mate Danny Guthrie.
Given, after 11 excellent years at Newcastle, received a huge ovation from the visiting fans despite a statement from his representative this week suggesting he was considering his future.
Guthrie, by contrast, was public enemy number one in the eyes of the Hull supporters after the horror tackle which broke Tigers forward Craig Fagan's leg in September.
Fagan, coincidentally, was making his first start since that game and his battle against Guthrie added extra spice to the match.
Despite being booed heavily with every touch, Guthrie made a useful early contribution by playing in Owen, whose cross was headed straight at Matt Duke by Andrew Carroll.
Duke was making a rare appearance in the Hull goal in place of the rested Boaz Myhill in one of seven changes made by manager Phil Brown after three successive defeats.
Fagan also got into the action early on but shot well wide and Brazilian star Geovanni, restored after being dropped against Aston Villa in midweek, forced Given to save from distance.
Given had to be alert again when when Geovanni almost put Daniel Cousin through on goal after a probing run.
A poor shot from Nicky Butt inadvertently found Guthrie in space and his ball set up Owen but the England striker's effort was deflected for a corner.
Owen had an even better chance on 17 minutes when he beat Sam Ricketts and Duke to a long punt upfield but lifted the ball wide. Duke then palmed out a shot from Carroll moments later.
Fagan brought up a huge cheer after 26 minutes when he fouled Guthrie despite it being in dangerous territory, and fortunately for him Newcastle wasted the free-kick.
Cousin caused some problems for the Newcastle defence and good work from the Gabon international created an opening for Ricketts to shoot but Given saved.
Referee Foy became centre of attention when he felt it necessary to have a word with Hull boss Brown for voicing his displeasure at a decision. He then booked Fagan at the subsequent free-kick for failing to retreat 10 yards.
Newcastle lost Charles N'Zogbia to injury 10 minutes before the break with Jonas Gutierrez taking his place.
Given showed brilliant reflexes to deny Cousin from point-blank range after Fagan had beaten Steven Taylor on the right, the keeper touching his shot against the post.
Geovanni created the first chance of the second half with a run into the Newcastle area but his cross for George Boateng was underhit and Guthrie slid in to clear.
Newcastle then claimed a penalty when Owen went down under a challenge from Duke after a poor clearance by the goalkeeper but Foy was not interested.
Cousin worked space to turn and shoot after a Giannakopoulos cross but again Given was equal to his effort.
Ricketts then shot at Given before racing back to put in an excellent tackle on Carroll after Damien Duff had cut Hull open on the counter-attack.
Given then saved superbly again from a curling Geovanni free-kick and on-loan Sunderland player Paul McShane further spared Newcastle by firing over in the ensuing scramble.
Newcastle earned a remarkable reprieve in the 72nd minute as Given clutched a ball Hull were convinced had crossed the line.
Turner rose to head a Dean Marney corner which Duff headed onto the angle of crossbar and post.
Given smothered the bouncing ball as Hull claimed a goal but Foy and his assistant were unmoved.
Newcastle then almost caught Hull on the counter again as Owen fired over from a Butt knock-down.
At the other end, Carroll did similar when presented with a good chance and despite further openings at both ends, the sides had to settle for a replay.