The troubled star has been summoned to appear at Wolverhampton Magistrates Court on June 17 when he will be formally charged with the offence.
The Mail understands that a further court hearing is scheduled to take place the following week, on June 22.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) decided not to charge the 48-year-old in May.
But it’s understood that the victim or complainant in the case, a security guard who has not been identified, asked for that decision to be reviewed.
The former footballer’s management team were told last month that he would not face any action, but they have since been informed of the dramatic U-turn by the CPS.
Police were called in following Gazza’s one-man show at the Civic Hall in Wolverhampton last November.
The evening, billed “An Audience With Paul Gascoigne”, saw punters fork out over £350 for a VIP pass.
During the day he took it upon himself to meet three-year-old cerebral palsy sufferer Georgie Gibbs, at the centre of a massive fundraising campaign in her home city of Worcester.
Onlookers said the former Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur and England star seemed relaxed, happy and free of the troubles that have blighted his life in recent years.
Gascoigne, whose battle with addiction has been well-documented, insisted during a recent TV interview that he was ‘back to his best after two-day blip’ in his struggle with alcoholism.
In March he had been photographed clutching a bottle of gin and being escorted by a police officer in his home town of Poole, Dorset.