Ciaran Clark has told The Chronicle that he did not find it difficult to leave Aston Villa this summer.
The 26-year-old quit Aston Villa for Newcastle United after Magpies boss Rafael Benitez activated his £5 million release clause.
Clark, a Republic of Ireland defender, had been on Villa's books for no fewer than 16 years, but he could face his former club on Saturday when Newcastle visit Villa Park.
So far it certainly seems like he made the right choice. As expected, Newcastle are in contention for promotion after winning five of their first eight Championship outings, but Villa, on the other hand, have only won once from their eight matches.
Having joined Aston Villa as an 11-year-old, Clark was very much one of their own, but the centre-back admits that it "wasn't a hard decision at all" to swap the Villans for United, claiming he wanted to leave as soon as he heard that the North-East outfit triggered his buyout clause.
“I’ll find it fine," he told The Chronicle when asked about Saturday's return to Aston Villa. “It will be nice to see the lads and the staff around the place, but other than that it will be getting on with business and trying to get the right result.
“For me, it wasn’t a hard decision at all, to be honest. It all happened pretty quickly.
“As soon as I found out that the buyout clause had been met, straight away I wanted to get up the road and come and see what the place was about then got things sorted.