Brighton Go Top (Again)

Last updated : 26 February 2017 By Footy Mad - Editor

Image result for Newcastle 2 Bristol City 2

Leeds 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday
Aston Villa 1-0 Derby County
Barnsley 1-1 Huddersfield
Brentford 4-2 Rotherham
Cardiff 2-2 Fulham
Newcastle 2-2 Bristol City
Preston 2-1 QPR
Wigan 0-0 Nottingham Forest
Brighton 3-0 Reading

Brighton are back on top of the Sky Bet Championship, taking full advantage of Newcastle's slip against Bristol City by thrashing Reading 3-0 in the late game.

Sam Baldock opened the scoring at the Amex Stadium before half-time, with Jamie Murphy and Anthony Knockaert adding to the tally after the break.

Newcastle were earlier forced to battle back to earn a 2-2 draw at home against struggling Bristol City.

Veteran forward Aaron Wilbraham headed the visitors into an early lead on 11 minutes to boost their hopes of staying clear of the relegation battle.

Before Newcastle could mount a recovery, Bristol City went 2-0 up when David Cotterill punished some more poor defending after 21 minutes.

The hosts got themselves back into the match just before the hour when Bristol City midfielder Korey Smith put the ball into his own net as Jonjo Shelvey tried to bundle it in from close range.

Newcastle defender Ciaran Clark then snatched a late equaliser with eight minutes left following a corner.

In Saturday's lunchtime kick-off, Leeds defeated Yorkshire rivals Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 at Elland Road to cement their place in the top six.

Chris Wood put the hosts ahead on 21 minutes with his 22nd goal of the season.

Leeds keeper Rob Green made a stunning second-half save to deny Jordan Rhodes from the penalty spot.

Wednesday remain in sixth place, but now just five clear of the chasing pack.

Seventh-placed Fulham closed the gap after a 2-2 draw at Cardiff.

The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes through Stefan Johansen following a counter-attack.

Cardiff, though, were soon level when in-form Kenneth Zohore equalised just seven minutes later.

The Danish forward made it six goals in as many games when he put the Bluebirds into the lead on 56 minutes with a well-taken effort from 20 yards.

Fulham equalised after 67 minutes through a close-range effort from Neeskens Kebano.

Huddersfield, who are third, had to be content with a 1-1 draw at Barnsley.

Defender Michael Hefele headed Town into the lead from a corner on 18 minutes, but Marley Watkins' volley with 15 minutes left earned the hosts a point.

Aston Villa finally got back to winning ways after a goal from James Chester on 25 minutes proved enough to beat Derby and end a five-match losing streak.

Villa midfielder Leandro Bacuna, though, was shown a red card following a coming together with the assistant referee in stoppage time.

Bottom club Rotherham went down 4-2 at Brentford, where Ramallo Jota scored twice in stoppage time to deny the visitors a point.

Spanish forward Jota fired the Bees into the lead after 13 minutes, but Tunisia midfielder Aimen Belaid had Rotherham level with a header on 67 minutes.

However, Nico Yennaris netted a second for the hosts on 78 minutes, but Anthony Forde snatched an equaliser with just three minutes left.

Jota, though, had the final say when his penalty put Brentford 3-2 ahead in stoppage time, before completing his hat-trick following a counter attack.

Preston came from behind to beat QPR 2-1 at Deepdale.

QPR took the lead through a close-range flick from striker Kazenga LuaLua on 36 minutes.

Aiden McGeady equalised on the stroke of half-time with a 20-yard effort, with Jordan Hugill's close-range finish on 71 minutes completing the turnaround.

QPR finished with 10 men after midfielder Luke Freeman collected a second caution with 12 minutes left.

Wigan remain in the bottom three after they played out a goalless draw with Nottingham Forest at the DW Stadium.