Edgar's Premier League Dream Put On Hold

Canadian Edgar was on the bench as Burnley came unstuck against the Smogs.

Burnley missed the chance to secure promotion to the Barclays Premier League as they were beaten 1-0 by Middlesbrough in the Sky Bet Championship.

Jacob Butterfield scored the only goal of the game at Turf Moor six minutes into the second half.

Middlesbrough's afternoon ended on a sour note as Daniel Ayala was booked twice in quick succession late in the game to be dismissed.

Despite the defeat, the second-placed Clarets still retained a healthy eight-point lead over Derby.

The Rams enjoyed a good day as they all but secured a play-off spot by coming from behind to beat nine-man Huddersfield 3-1.

Nahki Wells put the Terriers ahead after 15 minutes but Johnny Russell replied.

Goalkeeper Alex Smithies then pushed the ball into his own net after Joel Lynch had become the first Huddersfield player to be sent off, for two bookable offences.

Captain Peter Clarke was also dismissed as he conceded the penalty which allowed Chris Martin to complete the win.


1 Leicester 89
2 Burnley 83
3 Derby 75
4 QPR 73
5 Wigan  67
6 Brighton 64

David Edgar  

Edgar has represented Canada at various levels and is currently a member of the Canadian senior squad. He was a member of the of Under-20 team at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He made his debut for the Canadian senior squad on 9 February 2011.

Edgar was born in Kitchener, Ontario but his father Eddie is a native of Jarrow, Tyne and Wear, was a former professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Newcastle United (1 game only) and Hartlepool United, as well as playing for the New York Cosmos.

When Edgar was nine, his father took him to England to compete in a football tournament which was sponsored by Manchester United. Edgar impressed at the tournament, and was offered a scholarship deal by Manchester United.

However, Edgar turned down the opportunity, opting to stay in Canada.

At the age of 13, after impressing in trials for numerous football clubs including Celtic, he was offered a scholarship at the Newcastle United academy, which he accepted.

Aged 14, he left Canada and moved into his grandmother's home in Hebburn, Tyne and Wear.

Edgar began playing regularly in the academy and made his debut for the reserve team on 10 April 2003 against Bradford City.

Edgar caught the eye of Spanish club Málaga CF in September 2005 when Newcastle played the La Liga club in a pre-season friendly game.

Málaga, as well as a few English clubs, declared an interest in signing him. However, Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd was quick to announce that Edgar was not for sale, and that he had been given a new contract by the club to ward off any further interest.

Edgar began making more regular appearances in the reserve team during the 2005–06 season.

Edgar continued to appear for Newcastle's reserves and he was called up to the first team squad due to a lengthy injury list midway through the 2006–07 Premiership season.

He made his first team debut for Newcastle against Bolton Wanderers on 26 December 2006.

On 1 January 2007 during his home debut, he scored his first goal for the club with a long range strike against Manchester United in a 2–2 draw.

Edgar was playing in the unfamiliar position of full back as part of a makeshift Newcastle defence consisting of three under-21 players and a winger, due to injuries to first team defenders.

Edgar was later named man of the match and drew praise from then Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder for his performance during the game, having kept Cristiano Ronaldo in his back pocket.

During the 2007–08 season, Edgar voiced his concern at his lack of first team football at Newcastle, where at the time of the comment, he had yet to make any appearances for the senior team despite being the reserve team captain.

Towards the end of the season he was given a run of games in the first team and was praised by manager Kevin Keegan for his performance against Reading.

On 5 May 2007 he signed a contract with Newcastle that kept him at the club until 2009.

On 28 December 2008, Edgar scored his second goal for the club in a 5–1 loss against Liverpool.

On 24 May 2009, he was sent off in the last minute of the final game of the season against Aston Villa, a game that Newcastle lost 1–0, thus confirming their relegation from the Premier League.

After a terrible season, in which Newcastle failed to win a single match that Edgar featured in – 11 losses and 2 draws in his 13 games – Edgar rejected a contract offered by Newcastle and consequently left the club.

On 1 July 2009, it was announced that Edgar had joined Burnley on a four-year-deal.

On 24 December 2009, Burnley and Newcastle announced they had agreed to a transfer fee of £300,000 for Edgar, avoiding a tribunal hearing to settle the matter.

Edgar made his debut for Burnley in the second round of the League Cup against Hartlepool on 25 August.