Boy ... Toon Fans HATE The Emirates Stadium!

Last updated : 27 August 2008 By Footy Mad - Editor

ARSENAL: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Senderos, Clichy,Diaby (Silva 77), Fabregas, Flamini, Hleb,Adebayor (Walcott 82), Eduardo (Bendtner 71).

Subs Not Used: Lehmann, Justin Hoyte.

Goals: Adebayor 40, Flamini 72, Fabregas 80.

NEWCASTLE: Given, Carr, Taylor, Cacapa, N'Zogbia,Milner (Ameobi 73), Butt, Rozehnal (Barton 57), Duff, Smith,Owen.

Subs Not Used: Harper, Edgar, LuaLua.

Att: 60,127

In-form striker Emmanuel Adebayor continued his fine goalscoring run as he set Arsenal on their way to a 3-0 win over Newcastle, which sent the Gunners back to the top of the Barclays Premier League.
The Togo international, whose best efforts could not lead his country to the African Nations Cup, crashed in a flying header five minutes before the break to make it nine goals in his last seven appearances - scoring in each and netting the opener in three successive league matches.
A superb 25-yard strike by Mathieu Flamini midway through the second half and another from Cesc Fabregas made sure of an 11th home win for Arsene Wenger's men, who leapfrog over Manchester United, for 24 hours at least.
It was a positive start by the hosts, going into the match unbeaten in seven Premier League outings.
On seven minutes, full-back Gael Clichy burst forwards and almost collected a quick exchange pass from Fabregas, but saw his run halted on the edge of the penalty area by Steven Taylor.
Newcastle - with new executive director Dennis Wise watching from the comfort of the Emirates Stadium premier 'Diamond Club' seats - were well beaten, also 3-0, here on Saturday to end their FA Cup dreams, but Kevin Keegan's men again looked to have plenty of ambition going forwards, particularly down the flanks, if without any end product.
Arsenal pressed again on 17 minutes, with Alexander Hleb's cross from the right picking out Diaby on the penalty spot, but a flying challenge from Nicky Butt was enough to put the midfielder off his header - and see him get clattered into the bargain.
Adebayor almost capitalised on a rash pass from Taylor inside his own penalty area, which goalkeeper Shay Given coolly back-heeled behind as the Togo frontman, with 18 goals already, closed in.
Steve Carr then made a timely block in the six-yard box to clear Bacary Sagna's low cross from the right as Eduardo arrived at the far post.
A lovely interchange between Hleb and Flamini put the Frenchman into the right side of the penalty area.
His chip across goal found Adebayor - but the Togo striker got under the ball and lashed a fierce volley over the crossbar.
However, on 40 minutes, the big African got it right to head Arsenal into the lead.
Flamini was again the provider, this time riding a challenge from Butt and bursting into space before delivering a perfectly-weighted cross towards the far post, where Adebayor made no mistake.
Flamini was then called into action at the other end when he cut out Milner's pass at the near post.
Newcastle were not about to lie down and continued to take the game to their hosts, making use of all available space on the flanks.
At the other end, Diaby made space for a shot from the edge of the area, but his effort flew harmlessly wide.
After 56 minutes, Newcastle introduced Joey Barton, as David Rozehnal made way.
Arsenal continued to press as they looked to make sure of a return to the Premier League summit, with current leaders United set to host Portsmouth tomorrow night.
On 67 minutes, Given was called into action again when he got down quickly to dive on Flamini's low 20-yard strike, which looked to be sneaking into the bottom right corner.
Eduardo was replaced for the final 20 minutes by Nicklas Bendtner - paring the young Dane in attack alongside Adebayor since their bust-up in the Carling Cup semi-final defeat at Tottenham.
Moments later, and it was 2-0.
Diaby collected the ball by the right touchline, and fed Fabregas. He in turn played it back to Flamini. The midfielder set himself before unleashing a superb strike into the top right-hand corner from 25 yards.
Any hopes Newcastle had of getting back into the match ended when Fabregas made it 3-0 with 10 minutes left from Bendtner's centre.
Adebayor was given a deserved rest when Walcott came on for the closing stages.
By then, though, the hard work had already been done as the Gunners showed little sign of letting up in their title challenge.
Newcastle, however, almost snatched late consolation goal when Butt's free-kick skipped up off the wall and onto the crossbar.


ARSENAL: Lehmann, Justin Hoyte, Senderos, Gallas, Clichy, Diaby (Silva 76), Flamini, Fabregas, Rosicky (Eduardo 9), Walcott (Hleb 76), Adebayor.

Subs Not Used: Fabianski, Bendtner.

Goals: Adebayor 51, 83, Butt 89 og.

NEWCASTLE: Given, Carr, Taylor, Cacapa, Jose Enrique (Rozehnal 77), Milner, Butt, N'Zogbia, Duff (LuaLua 82), Smith, Owen.

Subs Not Used: Harper, Edgar, Carroll.

Att: 60,046

Emmanuel Adebayor grabbed a brace to help Arsenal forget their midweek humiliation by Tottenham and fire the Gunners into the fifth round of the FA Cup as Newcastle were beaten 3-0 at Emirates Stadium.
The Togo striker, who apologised for his bust-up with team-mate Nicklas Bendtner during the 5-1 Carling Cup drubbing, struck twice in the second half to end the brave resistance of Kevin Keegan's battling side - set to return here next week in the Barclays Premier League.
An own goal from Nicky Butt in the closing moments ended a frustrating afternoon for the visitors, who had enjoyed good spells, but just lacked a cutting edge in the final third.
Arsenal were eager to erase the memory of their drubbing at White Hart Lane in midweek when their arch rivals marched on to Wembley, and settled quickly.
However, Newcastle are a club rejuvenated under Keegan, and it showed as the visitors refused to give any ground during the opening exchanges.
The first opening came on five minutes, when Philippe Senderos' long ball into the penalty area almost picked out Fabregas, but was just too far ahead of the Spain midfielder who could not get any power on his shot at full stretch.
Arsenal were forced into an early change when winger Tomas Rosicky hobbled out and was replaced by Croatian hitman Eduardo.
Newcastle looked dangerous on the break - and they almost snatched the lead on 14 minutes when the ball dropped to Alan Smith on the penalty spot following a corner on the left, and his goalbound shot was headed off the line by Gael Clichy.
Arsenal, without key defender Kolo Toure because of the African Nations Cup, were anything but solid at the back as Newcastle captain Michael Owen dragged an effort across goal from the right.
The full-back - who has never scored for Arsenal - was in the thick of the action at the other end, when his curling shot from the left corner of the Newcastle penalty box was parried by Shay Given after 16 minutes.
The Newcastle keeper was alert again when full-back Stephen Taylor misjudged a high ball on the edge of the area, which let in Eduardo, whose angled drive was well saved at the near post.
Taylor almost made up for his error with a timely arrival at the other end, but his lopping header fell on top of the net.
The visitors were certainly in no mood to sit back - something of a trademark under Keegan. Damien Duff weaved his way into the Arsenal box, and had to be shut out at the near post.
Slowly Arsenal stepped up the pressure, with Adebayor flashing a header just wide under close attention from Newcastle centre-back Claudio Cacapa.
The hosts, though, were being denied space around the penalty area by a hard-working Newcastle side.
In first-half stoppage time, Abou Diaby cut inside from the left, and sent in a dipping effort from the edge of the box - which Given tipped over acrobatically.
Newcastle again looked determined to take the game to Arsenal following the restart but on 51 minutes, the Gunners were in front.
Eduardo made space for himself on the edge of the penalty area, and sent in a curling left-foot shot which had Given beaten, but struck the base of the keeper's right-hand post.
The defence failed to clear the loose ball, and in-form Adebayor showed good close control before lashing his effort into the left corner, to leave Arsenal celebrating their 100th goal at Emirates Stadium.
Newcastle could count themselves somewhat unfortunate to be trailing after their determined performance.
However, as the hour mark passed, the visitors did not let their heads drop and continued to press.
Owen felt he had a penalty shout when the ball was flicked up on to Senderos' arm, but referee Martin Atkinson thought otherwise.
Space was, though, now opening up in midfield for Arsenal, with Eduardo causing plenty of problems as he drifted out wide and then into the centre.
With 20 minutes left, it needed a fine saving block from Cacapa to deny the Croatian, after he collected a flick into the six-yard box and rifled in his first-time effort on the turn.
Arsenal made sure of their place in the last 16 when Adebayor darted into the right side of the area, held off two defenders and drew the keeper, before firing in a low shot which last man Taylor could not keep out as the Togo hitman closed in on 20 goals of an impressive campaign.
An own goal from Butt made it 3-0 on 82 minutes, as Eduardo looked to nod in Fabregas' free-kick from six yards.


ARSENAL: Fabianski, Justin Hoyte, Eboue (Diaby 64), Senderos,Traore, Diarra, Denilson, Song Billong, Walcott, Bendtner,Eduardo (Perez 90).

Subs Not Used: Mannone, Lansbury, Gavin Hoyte.

Goals: Bendtner 83, Denilson 89.

NEWCASTLE: Given, Beye, Taylor, Rozehnal, Jose Enrique,Milner (Butt 70), Smith, Faye, N'Zogbia, Ameobi (Emre 60),Martins.

Subs Not Used: Forster, Geremi, Edgar.

Att: 60,004

Arsenal's next generation showed the future is bright as a bullet header from Nicklas Bendtner and a superb strike by Brazilian Denilson beat Newcastle at Emirates Stadium.
Manager Arsene Wenger had put his faith in youth for the third-round Carling Cup tie, and last season's losing finalists showed they have both the hunger and undoubted talent in depth to make another strong run in the competition.
After dominating for long spells, the breakthrough eventually came when Bendtner powered in his first senior Arsenal goal on 83 minutes from Armand Traore's deep cross.
Captain Philippe Senderos had to clear off the line - but Denilson made sure of the result with a fine 20-yard strike.
Few sides will now fancy meeting the young Gunners in the fourth round and with Arsenal currently top of the Barclays Premier League, the foundations are in place for what could be a vintage season to remember.
Arsenal had severely reduced ticket prices to ensure a bumper attendance for tonight's game.
However, there were plenty of empty seats once the action got under way, which was not surprising given the pre-match travel problems around north London on the Underground.
The hosts started brightly, with Eduardo - the Croatian international signed during the summer - causing problems down the right.
It was, though, Newcastle who created the first decent opening on 10 minutes, Sanchez Jose Enrique sent over a deep cross from the left towards the far post.
Obafemi Martins got up above the defence and headed the ball downwards, but Pole Lukasz Fabianski - on his debut - produced a fine low reaction save.
Arsenal slowly started to build some pressure and the hosts could have gone ahead on 17 minutes.
Full-back Traore got away down the Arsenal left and sent over a deep cross towards the penalty spot.
Bendtner, under pressure from David Rozehnal, got plenty of power on his header but could not keep the ball down and it flew high over the bar.
Emmanuel Eboue chipped the ball all the way across the six-yard area from the right but Eduardo was just unable to turn it in at the far post.
The Croatian was then clean through after he pushed a long pass ahead of him.
However, Newcastle keeper Shay Given showed his experience to quickly close down the Arsenal striker on the edge of the area and the loose ball was cleared.
On 37 minutes, Eboue sent in a low drive from 20 yards, which Given did well to palm away. Arsenal again pressed following the restart.
A quick move down the right saw Bendtner cut the ball back to Eboue, who made space for an angled drive, which Given put behind.
The veteran Republic of Ireland man then showed more good reflexes to deny Walcott from close range.
Fit-again Eboue - converted from right-back to midfield this season - was looking lively, and it took a saving block from Steven Taylor to deny the Ivory Coast man inside the six-yard box on 55 minutes.
From the resulting corner, Charles N'Zogbia was in just the right place to clear Eduardo's goal-bound looping header off the line.
Given was having a busy night, as he turned over a left-wing cross from Walcott which suddenly swerved goalwards.
Newcastle felt they had a penalty shout when Martins tumbled under a challenge from Senderos, but referee Howard Webb was not impressed.
Bendtner and Eduardo exchanged neat passes on the edge of the area, but after chesting the ball down, the Croatian scuffed his volley wide.
The Dane then looked to have won it for Arsenal when he powered in a bullet header from Traore's left-wing cross on 83 minutes.
However, there was still time for Senderos to heroically clear off the line after Martins had rounded Fabianski.
The result was then put beyond any doubt when Denilson rifled in a superb 20-yard effort with a minute to go.