Newcastle United Under-23s boss Neil Redfearn says Elias Sorensen's loan stint at Carlisle United will be reviewed in January, with the Magpies not fully satisfied with his time at Brunton Park so far.
Redfearn admits he is concerned at the Danish striker's lack of first-team opportunities with the Cumbrians.
With the 21-year-old an unused substitute in their last two matches against Northampton last Tuesday and Leyton Orient on Saturday, Redfearn told The Chronicle: "It's a difficult one.
"I know I have said on the record in the past that he needs to fight it out but, obviously, the idea of him going out on loan is that he plays.
"So if he's on the bench and not coming on, it's not what we want, it's not what we need.
"The reports that we are getting back are that he's working really hard and desperately trying to do the right things to get in so we are getting that, but there is no getting away from the fact he needs to play."
Sorensen is due to spend the whole season on loan at Carlisle.
ButNewcastle do have an option to take him back in early 2020.
"Yes, he comes back in January and then it can be reviewed," Redfearn confirmed.
But, if he cannot cut it in League Two, the Premier League is a million times tougher.
That's all I'm saying. Don't shoot the messenger.